Re: Problem with parenthesis matching and autoindentation in MacOS X ver

From: Juha Nieminen
Subject: Re: Problem with parenthesis matching and autoindentation in MacOS X version of emacs
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 00:32:25 GMT

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>>   Would it be a great loss if the <> "brackets" were not included in the
>> matching logic at all?
>
> It would be a loss, yes.  Maybe not that great, but it would be a loss in
> consistency, since paren matching should match any sort of
> parens/braces/brackets, etc.

  I know that the C++ language syntax is not a context-free grammar. In
other words, the meaning of tokens (eg. the tokens < and >) cannot be
deduced without the context.

  OTOH, it basically only makes the life of compilers and code editing
software harder, not people writing C++. It *is* the duty of programs to
do all the hard work, rather than leaving it to the user. :)

  OTOH, given that it's impossible to know the meaning of the < and >
symbols in C++ without the full context, I assume it will be impossible
to make any matching logic which would work in all cases. I don't really
think it would be a huge loss if those were not included in the
parenthesis matching rules.