Re: how to bind c-~ or c-` ?

From: Phil Carmody
Subject: Re: how to bind c-~ or c-` ?
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:27:14 +0200

"Samuel Wales" <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 15:01, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:
>> Perhaps "kbd" function helps? (kbd "C-`") returns [67108960] so you
>> could do:
>>
>>    (global-set-key (kbd "C-`") 'do-this)
>>    (global-set-key (kbd "C-~") 'do-that)
>
> That works.  Thank you.
>
> The only remaining issue is C-F1, but that is probably an OS thing,
> since emacs doesn't recognize it.

What does C-h k say when, and view-lossage say after, you press it?
It's <C-f1> in the native emacs here, but ``ESC [ 1 1 ^'' via a
screen session in a terminal, and simply not a recognised keypress
at all from the console. For this reason, you might want to not
rely on binding any function to such a key if you're ever likely
to change environment.

Of course, if you look at the traditional meaning of the 'control'
modifier, it only makes sense for a-z and a handful of other characters.
That emacs is able to capture keyboard events and recognise combinations
which have no intrinsic meaning outside emacs is nice when you can always
rely on it, but an annoyance when you're suddently placed at a console
which doesn't provide emacs the same level of control.

Phil
--
I tried the Vista speech recognition by running the tutorial. I was
amazed, it was awesome, recognised every word I said. Then I said the