Re: (Un?)Customizing Cursor?

From: harven
Subject: Re: (Un?)Customizing Cursor?
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:22:10 +0100

"Tim Visher" <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

> In related news...
>
> Another small nitpick that I have between my two illustrious
> installations is that my cursor behaves differently.  When I learned
> Emacs long ago in Terminal.app, I grew to expect the cursor to behave
> in a certain way.  When it was over white space, it would be a filled
> box.  When it was over a character, it would reverse video and I could
> see the character despite the box being full.  My windows install
> works exactly as I expect.  On my mac, however, I currently have an
> empty box because if I set it to be a solid box (via the preferences),
> it simply covers over the text I'm trying to edit.  This simply won't
> do.  I'd like to have the same functionality that I do on my Windows
> box on my Mac.
>
> I looked into the 'Easy Customization' section of the manual but I
> couldn't get the customizations there to really do anything.
>
> Anyway, as always, thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance!

If you are launching emacs in a Terminal.app, that's the terminal
that takes care of the cursor. And it seems pretty limited, from
what I can see. On your windows box, emacs probably starts in its
own window, hence there are more options available.

You may want to install some windowed version of emacs on your mac, either
CarbonEmacs, Emacs.app or Aquamacs. It takes only a few minutes
and you will recover a nice cursor, among over things.
See the wiki for a discussion of the different flavors of emacs under
macosx    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS

Another workaround is to use another terminal than Apple Terminal.app.
If Apple X11 is installed, you can just use a basic xterm and the cursor
behaves as expected.