Re: Chinese characters missing in .ps output file

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: Re: Chinese characters missing in .ps output file
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:30:52 +0000

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> With Emacs, I correctly open a file including chinese characters.  The
> characters are correctly displayed in the text file, but when I try to create
> the ps file, with `C-u M-x pr-ps-print-buffer-preview' or `C-u M-x
> pr-ps-print-buffer-print', they are not displayed.
>
> What am I missing, how can I work it out?

> You are missing CID mapped PostScript fonts or a means to teach GNU Emacs to
> use TrueType or OpenType fonts instead.
>
> Remember: a PostScript font can have thousands or millions of glyphs, but its
> encoding can only be 256 elements. It took years until  PostScript was
> expanded
> to support CJK scripts.
>

> Instead try htmlize.el by Hrvoje Nikšić: http://fly.srk.fer.hr/
> ~hniksic/emacs/htmlize.el. A sample of its capabilities can be seen here:
> http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~hniksic/emacs/htmlize.el.html – missing  some CJK and
> other non-Latin content. Lennart Borgman's htmlize-
> view.el helps a bit to handle printing (http://piprim.tuxfamily.org/
> home/pi/emacs.d/site-lisp/htmlize-view.el).

Thanks!

With `http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~hniksic/emacs/htmlize.el' I can convert the text
file into html format.  But, I still can't print it.  My post was wishing to
have a nice .ps file, then to convert also in pdf with ps2pdf.  Is that that
difficult?  How can I achieve that?

> Can you add a bit to the Emacs wiki?

I will with great pleasure whan I have solved the problem!

Bye
Rodolfo