Re: How do I directly specify a zip file member as a command or command

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: How do I directly specify a zip file member as a command or command-line option?
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 01:09:46 -0700

R. Bernstein wrote:
In GNU Emacs there is Zip-Archive mode and from a directory list I can
run (archive-extract) to view a member of the zip file. But I'd like
to run an emacs commnad to open the member directly without going
through the directory listing. (archive-zip-extract) seems to be
close, but that seems require setup on the outside with buffers.

Hmmm, that reminds me of http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/WishList#toc10

I've written a variation on that, which is attached.  To use it from
the command line to view bar.txt in ~/foo.zip:

emacs --eval '(extract-find-file "~/foo.zip" "bar.txt")

The particular application I have in mind is a Python debugger where
sometimes the positions will be a file and line number inside a zip
file, specifically a Python egg.

(progn (extract-find-file ...) (goto-line N))

Related to the above is the ability on the *command-line* to go to a
specific location inside a zip file. Emacs follows a convention for
editing a file and line number: FILE:LINENUM, but is there a
convention or way to specify a position inside some sort of archive?

Don't you mean: a position (line number) within a file, within an
archive?

If you really do mean a line number within an archive, you would just
need to arrange for Emacs to visit the archive in Fundamental mode
instead of Archive mode (via auto-mode-alist).

If so, I'd make sure to arrange the debugger to output backtraces and
in that format.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA