Re: how to manipulate data like awk or perl when visiting a file

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: how to manipulate data like awk or perl when visiting a file
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:59:28 -0600

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> For interactive use, depending what specifically what you want to do,
> but it might be easier to simply use shell-command or shell-command-on-
> region, and call your sed awk.

Thanks for your thoughtful answer. Interesting pages you have.

I got pretty interested reading your comparison of perl vs elisp.

What prompted my question here was that I had no access to shell tools
or perl on a specific machine I was on right then, so it got me to
thinking why I never see much mention of using elisp for those kinds
of jobs.

Its an interesting subject but in fact I'm rarely in that situation
so usually rely on shell tools awk and perl.  Those I have some small
grasp of.

Your examples may lead me to work on elisp more than I have.

Thanks again.