Vi-like end of buffer in emacs?

From: wlcna
Subject: Vi-like end of buffer in emacs?
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 23:24:04 GMT

Is there a way to get emacs to show something like the squiggles that vi shows under the last line of text in the file? The ideal behavior is Vim under GUI, which shows that but also *just slightly* changes the background color with the squiggles. This is not a huge deal but I find it comforting to know exact information about the file, including how many line terminations I have in there, and this is an instantaneous way of telling that.