Re: cvs emacs scales fonts to awfully big?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: cvs emacs scales fonts to awfully big?
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 16:59:23 +0100

Am 03.01.2009 um 02:51 schrieb Peter Tury:

However, none of these affected Emacs: it still uses 11.8pt high fonts
(previously it was 12pt)!?

I deduced these from `describe-face's result for 'default' face. It
told: "Height: 118" (previously: 120). Doesn't this show the used font
size? (After the customization mentioned earlier, now it tells:
"Height: 79". This is fine for me.)

The XLFD has a pixel size and a point size. The latter is ten times the former.

The actual font used can be determined by typing C-u C-x = on some
character.

It gives me (after the customization, i.e. when I have normal size
fonts):
        character: ( (40, #o50, #x28)
preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
       code point: 0x28
           syntax: ()   which means: open, matches )
         category: a:ASCII
ASCII graphic characters 32-126 (ISO646 IRV:1983[4/0]) l:Latin r:Roman
Japanese roman
      buffer code: #x28
        file code: #x28 (encoded by coding system undecided-unix)
          display: by this font (glyph code)
    xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-14-*-*-*-m-0-
iso10646-1 (#x0B)

You can see that the font was selected via libXft.

Does this mean 14pt size?

Yes! But (point) size in pixels.

When starting by Emacs -Q (i.e. in case of awfully big characters) it
gives:

        character: a (97, #o141, #x61)
preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
       code point: 0x61
           syntax: w    which means: word
         category: a:ASCII
ASCII graphic characters 32-126 (ISO646 IRV:1983[4/0]) l:Latin r:Roman
Japanese roman
      buffer code: #x61
        file code: #x61 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
          display: by this font (glyph code)
    xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-21-*-*-*-m-0-
iso10646-1 (#x44)

21pt?

Yes, and obviously trying to accommodate the 16pt (or now 14pt?) default to the display's resolution. Notice that the resx and resy fields are unspecified, so any 75 DPI or 100 DPI font, whichever comes first, matches this specification.

Have you ever tried xfontsel?

xset -q

Yes, 100dpi libraries are indeed before the 75dpi ones. Should I
change somehow their order? How is this possible?

In your ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession file, whichever is used, you can insert/correct:

        xset fp= /path/1/,/path/2/,/path/3/
        xset fp rehash

See man xset. Usually one uses 'xset fp+ ...' or 'xset +fp ...', i.e., one appends or prepends local additional font path elements (directories) to the compile time default.

To me it looks as if GNU Emacs creates its startup fontset from
either an X resource Emacs*font

I checked  xrdb -q | grep Emacs and it contains only colors (except
what I set manually -- fontbackend). Should I check something else
too?

It's your decision! The GNU Emacs info node has some documentation on X resources.

Now I would like to know if it is a bug that normal working can be
achieved only by some manual customizations?

It's not: it's a design decision. Maybe it has to be corrected for modern LCD screens. This could be done by choosing to report an Emacs bug (Help menu) and changing the subject of the eMail to the developers from bug report to something more appropriate.

(In other words: I think Emacs should find the proper font sizes as other applications find them by default.)

IMO it does! I let it use

Emacs*font: -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-m-*- iso10646-1

and

x:-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-10-100-75-75-m-60- iso8859-1

is used for an ASCII character (libXft on my Mac is from last millennium or elder and therefore unusable). If no X resource is defined and no font or fontset is set in *-frame-alist a default in C source code is used as last resort. This sounds quite rational.

--
Greetings

  Pete

One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb movies alone.
                                – Amiri Baraka, 1999