Re: emacs, shell -- command execution problem

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: emacs, shell -- command execution problem
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 18:56:47 -0800

On Jan 4, 2009, at 3:35 PM, relson@osagesoftware.com wrote:

Within emacs I use the bash shell a lot along with previous line
editing.  For example, I might execute a command like:

  ls $( find / -name whatever )

then I might use "!!" to recall the above command so I can edit it and
use it again.    When I do this, i.e. use "!!", the command is
recalled as

 ls $ ( find / -name whatever )

i.e. with 1 blank space between "$" and "(".  Presently I have to
manually edit the line to remove the space.  Is there a fix for "!!"
that will properly recall the command, i.e. without the blank space?
I think you aren't explaining your problem very well. `!!' will not recall the command for editing, but run it again. I ran your command in both Emacs 22 and 23, and it works for me.

What doesn't work is running
ls $(find place -type f)

Then pressing M-p to recall it. This does insert a space between the $(.

I don't know why. I suggest that you report the bug to the Emacs maintainers.

In the mean time, you can work around it by using:

find path -type f -ls

Or, you can press C-c C-p, which will move point to the previous command. From there, you can press RET to run it again, or C-c RET to copy it to the current command line.

 - Ian