Re: font handling broken in cvs emacs --with-ns (MacOS X)

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: font handling broken in cvs emacs --with-ns (MacOS X)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:04:26 +0100

Am 05.01.2009 um 12:31 schrieb B Smith-Mannschott:

In summary, you seem to be making two assertions:

(1) running ( ./configure --with-ns ; make ; make install ) is not the
    same as running ( ./configure --with-ns ; make bootstrap ; make ;
    make install )

Actually I think ./configure ...; make bootstrap; (sudo) make install is OK.

Normally (on a Mac), one would expect the default font set through the
*Application-Wide* Preferences window to be, well, an application-wide
default and not per-frame setting.  So really, this button in "Emacs
Preferences" is just a really clumbsy way of executing "Options >> Set
Default Font...". Is that sensible?

Probably. It's meant as a workaround. Besides, in GNU Emacs 23.0.60, you can give every frame another font. And when you load a buffer from frame A in frame B this window (prove it by creating a second window in frame B) will habe frame A's font. Or fontset.

(2.2) set-default-font
      Offers no completions for setting the default font.

C-h f, however reveals that: This function is obsolete since 23.1; use
set-frame-font instead. I had not previously noticed this. My bad.

set-frame-font: Offers no completions. Is the user meant to guess?

Seems to be a sign of missing adaptation to Cocoa. I don't use this, I prefer the font panel. You can report it as a bug.

(2.3) M-x set-face-font
      Offers only three possible completions, just as described in the
      initial posting on this thread.

   -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-default
-apple-Monaco-medium-normal-normal-Regular-*-*-*-*-*-*-fontset- startup
   -ns-*-*-*-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-standard

These are the built-in defaults. Again, there is a link missing to Cocoa. You can report it as the same bug.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches!