Emacs desktop problems

From: kj
Subject: Emacs desktop problems
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 12:38:49 +0000 (UTC)

I recently upgraded Emacs on my Mac to

  GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.6.0, X toolkit)

Now, whenever I start up Emacs, I get a warning of the form

  Warning: desktop file appears to be in use by PID <XYZ>.

where <XYZ> stands for the PID of the Emacs process just being
started.  I.e. the process is tripping over itself.

If I look at the entire *Messages* buffer at that moment, I see
see something like this:

  Wrote /Users/kynn/.emacs.desktop.lock
  Desktop: 36 buffers restored.
  setting customized faces
  Warning: desktop file appears to be in use by PID 893.
  Using it may cause conflicts.  Use it anyway? (y or n)
  Desktop: 36 buffers restored.
  For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

I find the repeated "Desktop: 36 buffers restored." suspicious.
It makes me wonder if Emacs is running through the Desktop sequence
twice, and that's why it complains about the lock file.

A possibly related problem is that Emacs ignores my request to make
some buffer-local libraries permanently safe.  One of the buffers
being restored specifies some local variables.  Now, at startup,
I'm always shown this dialog:

  The local variables list in 071229S_081230T.tsv
  contains values that may not be safe (*).

  Do you want to apply it?  You can type
  y  -- to apply the local variables list.
  n  -- to ignore the local variables list.
  !  -- to apply the local variables list, and permanently mark these
        values (*) as safe (in the future, they will be set automatically.)

I always reply with the "!" option, but still every time Emacs
starts I'm shown the same dialog.  Very annoying.

Any suggestions for dealing with these problems would be much
appreciated.  TIA!

Kynn