Emacs news/mail client (was: How to get my mail back from RMAIL)

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Emacs news/mail client (was: How to get my mail back from RMAIL)
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 18:09:33 GMT

John Velman (2009-01-06 17:46 +0000) wrote:

> But I still need some advice on using emacs for Mail and News -- where
> is the best place to look for it?

Gnus is probably the one to look for. You should have it already
installed, and it does both mail and news. Just start it with "M-x
gnus". It's quite difficult to configure at first but I'd like to
encourage you to learn it because Gnus is really excellent. For
documentation see:

    C-h i m Gnus RET

For configuration I'd say the customize interface is quite nice:

    M-x customize-group RET gnus RET

(RET means Enter in the Emacs speak)

There is also newsgroup gnu.emacs.gnus if you need help. If you end up
using Gnus for mail it's probably a good idea to set it the default mail
program:

    M-x customize-option RET read-mail-command RET
    M-x customize-option RET mail-user-agent RET