[gnus] Strange behavior when deleting articles with nnimap

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: [gnus] Strange behavior when deleting articles with nnimap
Date: 7 Jan 2009 05:01:01 +0100

Hello to all

I switched to nnimap recently and I have a problem.

Expired emails are moved to an imap-folder called "deleted-messages".
Now, this folder became too large and I wanted to delete most of the
mails for good. B-del didn't work for an unknown reason. So, I deleted
2500 of the 3000 mails manually via the web interface of the IMAP
server.

But alas, Gnus still shows the 3000 messages in the deleted-messages
group, although only 500 are actually extant. None of the 3000 is
readable. Strangely, some of the *not* deleted messages don't show up in
the group (also I know that they are still on the server). Even more
strangely, the server-buffer shows this group with the correct number of
Emails. But if I unsubscribe or kill the group and subscribe to it
again, the group-buffer again shows this group with 3000 entries.

I thing I have messed up something. Can anybody help me?

Thanks and greetings

Sven