Re: Writing CV with Emacs

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Writing CV with Emacs
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 09:37:20 +1100

Decebal <CLDWesterhof@gmail.com> writes:

> Some time ago I saw somewhere (a post, a webpage, I do not remember)
> that someone used Emacs to write his CV. He used something to convert
> the buffer to a PDF-file and previewed it in Emacs.
> I was now myself thinking about writing my CV (and proberly other
> things) with Emacs, but I can not find the post or webpage where this
> was described. Does anyone have an idea where I can find this
> description?

There are many possible solutions, depending on what outcome you want
and what things your familiar/comfortable with using. Emacs has support
for working in LaTex, Texinfo, XML/Docbook, HTML, SGML, etc. There are
also many useful modes that can take basic ascii or various 'mark down'
type formatting as input to produce various outputs. For example, muse
(wiki like mark down), org mode, bhl mode etc, that can export data in
various formats including HTML, PDF, PS, LatEx, info etc.

I have done a lot of text processing type work with emacs using Auctex
and various LaTeX modes. The comprehensive tex archive network (CTAN)
has lots of latex packages/modes/styles for doing many different types
of documents, including writing a CV. I personally find LatEx and auctex
mode a very powerful text processing framework that allows me to produce
output in various different formats and would recommend using it.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au