Re: Dismissing a completion buffer?

From: WalterGR
Subject: Re: Dismissing a completion buffer?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:55:19 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 13, 8:43 am, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > When a completion buffer pops up, e.g. M-x o, enter something, hit
> > tab... how do I dismiss that buffer?  Ctrl-g (cancel) seems to have no
> > effect; Ctrl-x k doesn't do the right thing; and hitting Esc doesn't
> > have the desired effect.
>
> I assume that you have `pop-up-frames' = t or something similar - something
> that
> causes buffer *Completions* to appear in its own frame.

Right.

> In vanilla Emacs, `C-g' does nothing to remove this frame, as you say.
> Icicles does not have this
> problem:http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles

(I'm fairly new to Emacs and still hazy on the interaction between
pieces and parts...)

The completion buffer I'm concerned about is created while using SLIME
to edit Lisp code / interact with a Lisp REPL.  Is my understanding
correct that Icicles works with any completion buffer?  (My assumption
here is that buffers named "*Completions*" are some specific Emacs
"thing" that code can interact with, which obviously may be
incorrect...)

> >http://www.dr-qubit.org/predictive/user-guide/html/Pop_002dUp-Frame.html
> > mentions completion-popup-frame-dismiss and some key bindings.  The
> > key bindings don't seems to work on my installation.
>
> Perhaps Toby Cubitt (author of Predictive) can help with that.

I just realized those were the docs for some specific thing called
"Predictive," not Emacs predictive completion in general.  So they're
not relevant for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks,

Walter