Re: exporting from emacs to excel

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: exporting from emacs to excel
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:12:57 +0000

rustom wrote:
I want to write a bit of elisp to take a file/buffer in org-mode and
export the tables to an excel sheet.

I know (very little) of how to write the code to make an excel sheet
from wscript. eg
giving wscript the following, opens a blank excel sheet:

Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
objExcel.Workbooks.Add
objExcel.Visible = True

Is there some easy/natural way to get this functionality inside elisp?
Rustom,

That is using DDE/OLE to control Excel. OLE (Object Linking and Embedding)
uses DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) to send messages between the applications.

A very quick google reveled
http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/xls/wxls/wxls/node12.html
You might want to use DDESpy (part of Visual Studio) to see what your VB app is
sending to Excel.
However, that elisp module might not support enough of DDE to implement OLE.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.