Re: debug connecting to emacsclient

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: debug connecting to emacsclient
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:26:48 -0600

"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hello Harry

>> However when I ssh in from remote host and say emacsclient ~/myfile
>
> That's not correct. You have to specify an additional parameter. If you
> connect via ssh (thus in a shell), you have to type 'emacsclient -t'. If
> you have a graphical environment, you have to type 'emacsclient -c'.
> There is no need to specify a file.
>
>> I get an interminable message `waiting for emacs....'

Apparently the emacs manual disagrees with you:

=====     *     =====     *     =====     *     =====

(emacs)Top:: > *Note Emacs Server:: > Invoking emacsclient

42.1 Invoking `emacsclient'
===========================

The simplest way to use the `emacsclient' program is to run the shell
command `emacsclient FILE', where FILE is a file name.  This connects
to an Emacs server, and tells that Emacs process to visit FILE in one
of its existing frames--either a graphical frame, or one in a text-only
terminal (*note Frames::).  You can then select that frame to begin
editing.
[...]
=====     *     =====     *     =====     *     =====

However I find what the manual says is not accurate in my case.
Following the suggestion of -c or -t... if I call
`emacsclient -c file'  It does work.
`emacsclient -c ' works just as well and opens emacs.

So I initially read the info manual above which indicates one should
call `emacsclient file'  but when I do I just get the ..`waiting'..
that never ends.

Having changed nothing on the server side... I see `emacsclient -c'
does exactly what I expected.... thanks.

Perhaps that is a bug in the documentation.