Re: Elisp: Setting column position?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Elisp: Setting column position?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:29:45 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 17, 10:23 am, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i think there's something desired here...
>
> i vaguely recall also wanted move-to-column, but i recall thought it
> didn't exist. Yes of course i knew apropos, and elisp-index-search and
> reasonably familiar with elisp and its manual.
>
> I think it would be great that in the function's in-line doc, it would
> say related functions. For example, if one looks up on goto-line, then
> at the bottom it might say:
>
> See also: goto-char, move-to-column, ...
>
> I suggest this in a bug report #1119
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.bug/browse_frm/thread/7fe3a2...
>
> not sure what's the status...

Note that listing related functions in a function's doc is in many
programing manuals. e.g Mathematica, MS's JScript, PHP ... they are
quite useful. Because for those not expert yet of a lang (which is
majority), often they do not know similar functions or do not know if
there's manual section that list such, and often are confused about
the differences of many functions that seems the same ....

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/