Re: How to speed up ido?

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: How to speed up ido?
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:06:23 +0100

Andreas Politz wrote:
Seweryn Kokot wrote:
Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

senny wrote:
Hey there

I wrote a function to open any file in my project using ido. The
Problem is, that the project has a lot of files and a deeply nested
directory structure. When i then complete the file name in ido using
fuzzy-matching it is extremely slow and unusable. Is there a way to
increase the speed of ido? or should i take another approach to this
problem? I am currently using the method "ido-completing-read".

regards,
Senny

A while ago I wrote a mode called ido-hacks. As the name
suggests it contains a couple of more or less dirty
modifications to ido, among them :

* faster display of prospect (streamlined one loop)
* caching of already computed flex-matches
* use ido for every completing-read call

If you're interested I could mail/post it and you could maybe
extract the optimization parts (It's one advice and one redefinition.)
Btw, I am using it all the time.

-ap

Could you please send it here? I think there are more people
interested in it!

Thanks in advance.

I attached it to this mail. Compiling is suggested. Load and enable it like this:

(ido-mode 1)
(ido-hacks-mode 1)

-ap

I have send the wrong version....

-ap

Since noone seems to be able to receive the attached file, I have put it
on the web :

http://www0.fh-trier.de/~politza/emacs/ido-hacks.el.gz

-ap