Pretty multilingual PostScript printing?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Pretty multilingual PostScript printing?
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:38:16 -0800 (PST)

Hello group!

I'm enjoying Emacs 23.1 under Debian GNU/Linux testing, my locale is
ru_RU.UTF-8, and I use CUPS for printing. My problem is that I can't
get non-latin text printed nicely.

To reproduce:

1) C-h h; the 'Hello' buffer shows up. I see *all* the characters (I
  have the TTF version of unifont installed).

2) M-x ps-print-buffer-faces; the buffer is printed, but every
  non-latin character is replaced with '?'.

I've tried installing BDF fonts, and it helps meaning that at least
cyrillic characters get printed. But the quality of the BDF fonts is
unacceptably bad (because of low resolution it seems) and the printed
text is pain to read.

On the other hand, if the 'Hello' buffer contents are printed via
GEdit, all the characters appear smooth and nice.

I expect Emacs to be at least as good as GEdit ;-) Is the a way to
make Emacs use the installed *vector* fonts for PostScript printing,
like GEdit does?

I'm ready to provide any additional info,
Andrey