Re: Shell aliases as shell-commands

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: Shell aliases as shell-commands
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:26:25 +0000

Quoth Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>:
> Am 22.01.2009 um 12:52 schrieb Michael Heerdegen:
>
>> (you could replace .bashrc by an individual file especially written
>> for that purpose).
>>
>> What do you think about it?

It works a treat, and although I wasn't as concerned as Peter was about
setting BASH_ENV, it _is_ good to know that scripts can be called from
Emacs' *shell* buffer without ~/.bashrc being sourced each time.

> It could even be ~/.emacs_bash, I think. This would be perfect, since
> *shell* buffer and shell commands would then see the same environment.

The default value of explicit-bash-args is ("-i" "--noediting") so
unless you've removed "-i" from the list the advice would need to cause
~/.emacs_bash _and_ ~/.bashrc to be sourced for buffer *shell* and
shell-command's execution environment to be the same.

Sebastian
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.