Re: Viewing PDFs as text?

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: Viewing PDFs as text?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:28:06 +0100

On Mon Jan 26 2009 Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> `C-c C-t' once to get the pure text contents, right? ;-)
> >
> > Please explain?  This works for the 3 use cases of w3m, ido, and org
> > invocations?
>
> No, no.  Only for pdf/ps/dvi files with emacs 23.  There you can do
>
>   C-x C-f /path/to/file RET
>
> which openes the file with doc-view, and `C-c C-t' will open a buffer
> with the plain text contents then.

Somehow I am missing the point. How is this supposed to work from
within something like emacs-w3m when I have only a tty?
Currently, to the best of my knowledge, emacs-w3m doesn't know what
to do with pdf files when emacs 23 is running in a tty. I still
don't see why doc-view should not handle this, even if it gives only
a minimalistic set of features. Of course, one could incorporate
such a feature also into emacs-w3m itself. But that appears to be
the wrong place to me. (The next package dealing with pdf files
similar to emacs-w3m would have to reinvent the wheel.)

Roland