Re: Trouble fontifying /** ... */

From: Davin Pearson
Subject: Re: Trouble fontifying /** ... */
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:02:36 +1300

2009/1/27 Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>:
> 'Evening, Davin!
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 03:04:58PM +1300, Davin Pearson wrote:
>> 2009/1/27 Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>:
>> > "/*****..... " (minimum 2 stars) might look a bit like:
>> > "/\\*\\*+"
>> >

>> The following Elisp code only matches a single line comment
>>
>>      ("/\\*\\*+.*\\*/" 0 'font-lock-doc-face t)
>                                               ^
>
>> and erroneously fontifies
>
>>        a = "/** foo */";
>
>> in font-lock-doc-face when it should be font-lock-string-face.
>
> Ah!  I see it now.  The last element of that list, t, is the OVERRIDE
> parameter which means "apply this fontification even if this piece of
> buffer has already been fontified" (See page "Search-based
> Fontification" in the Elisp manual).  Of course, the string had already
> been fontified with font-lock-string-face before that got overridden.
>
> So, you asked for it, you got it!

Yes I already know about the override feature.  The problem is that
without the override feature it doesn't work at all.

> If that t kind of sneaked in by accident while you weren't watching,
> just take it out.  If it was put there for a reason, well, you'll have
> to jiggle things around, somehow - change the order of the elements in
> font-lock-keywords, something like that.  There'll be some way of making
> it work, just like there's always a way of pressing the wallpaper flat
> without the bubble of paste oozing up somewhere else.  ;-)

Help me! I am stuck!

>> Click below for my Elisp code: (please note that I have updated the code)
>
>> http://h1.ripway.com/davin/sjs.el
>
>> Click below for a program fragment:
>
>> http://h1.ripway.com/davin/a.sjs
>
> Just as an aside, it's very helpful, really enourmously helpful, for
> there to be a code fragment (as concise as possible, like the one above)
> and relevant bits of Elisp (again concise, like the one above) actually
> in the post in the mailing list.  It encourages people to answer your
> post rather than getting another cup of coffee.  Downloading these from
> a URL is more of a drag than you'd believe.  ;-)

What is so much of an effort clicking on a URL? It only takes a few seconds.

--
Sincerely and kindest regards, Davin.
Davin Pearson    http://www.davinpearson.com