Re: grokking char encodings

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: grokking char encodings
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:58:20 +0200

> From: rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 22:54:48 -0800 (PST)
>
> There is this page:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php
> which when I print under Firefox3 prints some spaces as unicode boxes:
> in particular the ones in
> <pre class="example">

I cannot reproduce this.  How did you download this page to your disk?
I used a Windows port of the wget command.  I see only ASCII blanks in
the file.

> Now this is not directly relevant to emacs except that when I open the
> page under emacs (on a win XP box) the mode line shows
> -1(Unix)....
> but the file shows ^M at EOLs.

Can't reproduce this, either.  I see "(Unix)", but no stray ^M
characters anywhere in sight.

What you see means that the EOL format of the file is inconsistent:
some lines have the DOS CR-LF pair, others plain Unix-style LF
characters at the end of the line.

Or maybe it has something to do with your customizations; does the
same problem happen in "emacs -Q"?

> I am trying to understand what this means as a char encoding...

"1" means it's Latin-1, "(Unix)" means that it has Unix-style EOL
format.

> Can someone throw some light?
> My own understanding is that both emacs and FF3 are being confused by
> something... What?

I cannot say, until I'm able to reproduce the problem on my machine.

What version of Emacs do you use, btw?