Running a terminal app (gnubg) in emacs

From: J . Burton
Subject: Running a terminal app (gnubg) in emacs
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 11:31:11 +0000

Hi, I want to run the ascii version of gnugb in emacs and can't find a
terminal mode that will work reliably with it. The closest is
ansi-term which runs fine for some time but then starts garbling the
output (which is ascii backgammon boards and game info etc). What
seems to happen is that none of the new output is shown except the
final line and I can't find a way to get it back to sanity. (I tried
switching line/char modes and killing the contents of the buffer and
using the gnubg commands to redisplay the board etc.)  I am pretty
sure it isn't a gnubg bug because I've played it in xterm for long
periods with no such problem. I also checked their bug tracker.

I don't think eshell or plain M-x shell suffer from this problem but
they don't do tab completion, which is extremely useful for gnubg. Any
ideas?

(Copied bug-gnubg@gnu.org because I thought they might have a clue and
can't find another list for gnubg...?)

Thanks,