Re: emacs evaluating

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: emacs evaluating
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 15:18:23 +0100

"Haris BogdanoviƦ" <fbogdanovic@xnet.hr> writes:
> "Haris BogdanoviƦ" <fbogdanovic@xnet.hr> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>>
>> When I write a function in emacs, how can I try it ?

Emacs questions are better asked on news:gnu.emacs.help

Type C-x C-e with the point after the function source to enter it into
the emacs lisp image.

They type (your-function your-argument) C-x C-e to evaluate it.

If you type C-y C-x C-e instead, the result of the expression will be
inserted in the buffer at the point.

(+ 1 2) C-u C-x C-e --> 3
(defun f (x) (if (< x 1) 1 (* x (f (1- x))))) C-x C-e
(f 9) C-u C-x C-e --> 362880

You don't need to compile your emacs lisp functions to use them. At
least not until they're debugged.

>> Can I open some window (buffer) for evaluating ?

Yes. M-x ielm RET gives you an interactive REPL to emacs lisp.

> When I try to compile function it gives me "make -k" command, I press enter
> and I get error message.
> Does emacs have lisp interpreter or I have to install it separatelly ?

You can get information about what an emacs command purpose is with:

C-h f compile RET

As you can see, compile has nothing to do with compiling emacs lisp

code.

It could be used to compile an emacs lisp source, if you defined a
Makefile or used the emacs command to do so.  For example, you could
use:

   emacs --eval '(byte-compile-file "source.el")'

to compile source.el into source.elc with emacs.

But we prefer to do it more interactively in lisp:
To compile a function: (byte-compile 'your-function) C-x C-e
To compile an emacs lisp source file: M-x byte-compile-file RET source.el RET
To load an emacs lisp source: M-x load-file RET source.el RET
To evaluate a while buffer: M-x eval-buffer RET