Re: emacs evaluating

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: emacs evaluating
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 13:55:43 -0700

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

    To compile a function: (byte-compile 'your-function) C-x
    C-e

I had never thought of this.  I think I really must not
understand compilation very clearly.  I think I grasp that
an entire file full of functions will load faster if it is
compiled first, but what does interactively compiling a
single function buy me?  Does it exist in a different form
in the image when you do that?  Does it execute faster?
(This is not a facetious question, by the way.)  Er, maybe
it has to do with debugging macros or something...?