Re: having problems with indentation in c++-mode

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: having problems with indentation in c++-mode
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 09:07:49 +0000 (UTC)

luca.pamparana@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello everyone,

> I would like to set the indentation level to 4 characters and I am
> having trouble achieving this in the c++-mode. I have looked on the
> web and used the most common template that is found but the smart
> indentation always indents at 2 spaces...no matter what I set the tab-
> width or the indent level.

[ .... ]

> I can set the tab-width or the indent-level to whatever number but it
> does not help. It always indents at 2 spaces.
>
> I am an emacs newbie, so I am sure I have missed something basic. I
> would be grateful for any help you might give me.

The magic document is the CC Mode manual, chapter "Getting Started".

The variable you need to set is `c-basic-offset'.  Here's what this fine
manual says:

c-basic-offset
     This Lisp variable holds an integer, the number of columns CC Mode
     indents nested code.  To set this value to 6, customize
     `c-basic-offset' or put this into your `.emacs':

          (setq c-basic-offset 6)

If you can't get this working, come back again.

Best of luck!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).