RE: How to find current font-lock settings of a buffer?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to find current font-lock settings of a buffer?
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 10:34:56 -0800

> >> how can I see the current font-lock settings of a buffer?
> >
> > M-x describe-face RET on character of that face. In GNU Emacs 23 C-u
> > C-x = works similarly.
>
> That displays only the face used for that character.  The real
> font-lock settings are in the variable font-lock-keywords (which
> you normally don't set explicitly).
> See (info "(elisp)Font Lock Mode") for details.

Yes, but looking at the value of `font-lock-keywords' is likely to puzzle more
than clarify ... unless you marry that with the face appearances using
`list-faces-display'.

IOW, `C-h v font-lock-keywords' will show you which faces are used by Font Lock
mode in the current buffer. Then `M-x list-faces-display' will show you what
they (and other faces actually look like).