Re: how to remove a menu item?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: how to remove a menu item?
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 11:10:58 -0600

Xah Lee wrote:
On Feb 3, 8:32 am, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
Following is a removal of a bunch for those interested.

It seems like you are gutting so much of themenuthat it would be
easier to setmenu-bar-mode to nil. Except for reassigning modifier keys
(with KeyTweak) and putting cursor movement on the c,h,t,n keys
(necessary with the Dvorak layout) I have found it prudent to leave most
of the rest of RMS's mnemonic bindings alone. What you may end up with
after all your work is just aXahLee minor mode. Anyway, I do agree
that eventually some attention should be given to ergonomic issues but
the problems are so vast especially when internationalization is taken
into account that the job will have to be given to a committee rather
than an individual.

Ed

just wrote up some reasons about the emacs menu usability.

its based on screenshots and drawings... so here

  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_menu.html
or
 http://xahlee.blogspot.com/2009/02/emacs-menu-usability-problem.html
 (image here wont show unless you have it cached)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

Thanks, Xah. Some of these suggestions might deserve consideration but the vast (as you say) majority should probably be left as they are. The only ones I am sure I could do without are Eliza, Games, and Read Man page. The latter doesn't work at all but that's because I'm on w32 and the man directories don't exist. The same help is available on info pages or on the web. I try to avoid using the menu bar as much as possible and I see it more as training wheels for those used to running software with that interface or those who can't type or who refuse to learn to type. It would be nice if ALL menu items had references to the non-menu key combos or to the underlying functions. For example, to Open Recent from the keyboard, all I have been able to come up with so far is:
(defalias 'rof 'recentf-open-files)

Ed