RE: newbie - from UK

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: newbie - from UK
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 09:59:44 -0800

> I've joined the group hoping to learn more about emacs - i will be
> using it [i hope!] for programming and writing text. I gathered that
> emacs offers good text editing facilities. I've got the emacs.pdf and
> have started thumbing my way through it.

Welcome to Emacs, James!

By "the emacs.pdf" I assume you mean the GNU Emacs manual(?).

Here are some other resources that can help, in addition to help-gnu-emacs and
the Emacs manual (which is available in Emacs itself, using `C-h r' or Help >
Read the Emacs Manual):

* Guided Tour: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/
* Frequently Asked Questions (Help > Emacs FAQ)
* Tutorial (Help > Emacs Tutorial)
* Wiki: http://www.emacswiki.org
* Overview page: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/