Re: dired loading on C-x C-f

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: Re: dired loading on C-x C-f
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 01:38:05 +0100

keethraxx@gmail.com writes:

> I have a problem with a specific installation of emacs (22.1.1 on
> SPARC Solaris 9) behaving strangely.
>
> On most other systems if I have a file open in a buffer but changed on
> disk (outside of emacs) and press C-x C-f [RET] it tells me that the
> file has changed and asks me whether I want to reload it.
>
> However this one opens dired instead. My ~/.emacs file is the same.

This is the new behaviour in Emacs 22. (See the NEWS file.) You can use
`C-x C-f M-n RET' instead.

> I wonder if there is any way to force the "standard" (ie. "prompt to
> reload") behavior?

This hack was posted by Ted Stern:

(defun find-file-read-args (prompt mustmatch)
  (list (let ((find-file-default
               (and buffer-file-name
                    (abbreviate-file-name buffer-file-name))))
          (read-file-name prompt nil find-file-default mustmatch))
        t))