RE: How to draw pixel ?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to draw pixel ?
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:03:57 -0800

> >> function to draw pixel vertically line in emacs buffer
> >
> > I don't have a direct answer to your question, but you
> > might also take a look at the code in vline.el. It draws
> > a vertical line using character composition with
> > the character ?|.
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/vline.el
>
> I know vline.el.
> But this overlay have display problem with multi-byte
> language (such as Chinese), when Chinese character's width
> is not *two times* of English character's width.
>
> I have attached screenshot for describe this problem.
> Then you will see the problem.

I probably can't help with this - I'm no expert on multi-byte stuff, character
composition, or use of graphics with Emacs.

But make sure of one thing: did you first set option `vline-style' to `compose'?
If it is not `compose', then a face is simply applied to the existing character.
If it is `compose', then the existing character is composed with character ?|.
The latter effect is of drawing a thin vertical line through the character.

Your screenshot looks like what one gets when the option has value `face'
instead. (But maybe that's just a coincidence, and the appearance is due here to
multi-byte characters.)