tramp-2.1.15/cscope-15.7 and emacs 22 vs emacs 23

From: Michal
Subject: tramp-2.1.15/cscope-15.7 and emacs 22 vs emacs 23
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:38:43 +0100

Hallo group members

=== problem description:

cscope seems not working with emacs 23/tramp-2.1.15.
when I do:
M-x cscope-index-files on some remote machine directory:
/scp:root@remote.machine.org:/cvs/src-10-01-patches

it does not build cscope database (this is what cscope-index-files is intended
to do).

when I do the same thing with emacs 22, everything is ok, database is done.

=== some investigation:
on my local machine I changed /usr/local/bin/cscope binary to:
#!/bin/bash
date
echo "cscope at localhost"

I did not touch cscope binary on remote machine.

then I run M-x cscope-index-files again on
/scp:root@remote.machine.org:/cvs/src-10-01-patches.

emacs 23 result:

Creating cscope index `cscope.out' in:
        /scp:root@remote.machine.org:/cvs/src-10-01-patches/

Creating list of files to index ...
Creating list of files to index ... done
Indexing files ...
Wed Feb 18 16:28:13 CET 2009
cscope at localhost
Indexing files ... done

Indexing finished

Of course no indexing is done, this is just a standard template of cscope.

emacs 22 result:
Creating cscope index `cscope.out' in:
        /scp:root@remote.machine.org:/cvs/src-10-01-patches/

Creating list of files to index ...
Creating list of files to index ... done
Indexing files ...
Indexing files ... done
exit

Indexing finished

=== my conclusion:
emacs 23 invokes cscope from local machine, while emacs 22 invokes cscope
binary from remote machine, thus works correctly.

Do You experience similar behaviour? How to overcome it?

best regards,
Michal