Re: automatic new-line after 80 columns

From: Rodrigo Canellas
Subject: Re: automatic new-line after 80 columns
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:30:43 -0300

Em Wednesday 18 February 2009 14:23:41 B. T. Raven escreveu:
> Rodrigo Canellas wrote:

> >> How does what you want differ from the behavior you see if you type this
> >> in a buffer:
> >>
> >> C-u 80 C-x f C-u 1 M-x auto-fill-mode
> >>
> >> ??
> >> I think this is a minor mode that works with most programming languages.
> >>
> >> Ed
> >>

> > I created a file '/var/tmp/t.cpp'.
> > Then when I typed 'C-u 80 C-x f', 'emacs' said 'Fill column set to 80 (was
> > 70)'
> > And when I typed 'C-u 1 M-x auto-fill-mode', it did not say anything.
>
> You should see the word "Fill" added to the mode line.
> >
> > I typed this:
> > #include <iostream>
> >

> > void function_very_very_very_big_but_i_mean_really_big ( ) {
> >     {
> >     {
> >         {
> >             {
> >                 {
> >                     {
> >                         {
> >                             {
> >                                 {
> >                                     {
> >                                         {
> >                                             {
> >                                                 {
> >                                                     {
> >                                                         {
> >                                                             object_a =
> > fc_abc( ) ;
> >

> > Here I expected it would change to:
> >
> > void function_very_very_very_big_but_i_mean_really_big ( ) {
> >     {
> >     {
> >         {
> >             {
> >                 {
> >                     {
> >                         {
> >                             {
> >                                 {
> >                                     {
> >                                         {
> >                                             {
> >                                                 {
> >                                                     {
> >                                                         {
> >                                                             object_a =
> >
> > fc_abc( ) ;
> >

> > I mean, to respect  the limit of 80 bytes per line, 'emacs' should insert a
> > new-line after the '='.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> I copy-pasted the above into an Emacs buffer, enabled column-mode, and
> didn't see any lines longer than 78 characters. Auto-fill just breaks
> the line automatically at the word boundary at or just before the
> fill-width character.
>
> Type this:
>
> Now is the time for every good man to come to the aid of every good man who
> types
>
> and it should have broken before the word "types."
>
> The above works in a lisp buffer but not in a new one I made (junk.cpp).
> Maybe its working depends on c++ syntax. Did you try menu C++ > Toggle >
> Auto newline?

I  see the word 'Fill' in the mode line. I typed a line more than 80 bytes long
in '*scratch*', and 'emacs' added a new line for me.
But when I type in a C++ buffer it does no work. I guess I have to do what
Tyler suggested, altough I have no idea how...

Thanks anyway!

--
Rodrigo Canellas
Software Developer