Re: Quick math calc on any buffer

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Quick math calc on any buffer
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 00:37:07 +0100

Marc Tfardy <m-t-o___CUT__IT@web.de> writes:

> Rodrigo Lazo schrieb:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a way to compute a math expression on any buffer? I mean, if I
>> have a buffer with the following expression
>>
>> 2 + 3
>>
>> I want to mark the region and compute the result
>>
>> 2 + 3 = 5
>>
>> It doesn't seems too hard to do, I've looked on calculator.el for a
>> "computing" function I can call but I didn't find it.
>
> Try with embeded mode of calc: C-x * E (no need to mark the region)
> and similar commands (J or W in place of E). You need to type C-x * E
> again to exit the embeded mode.
>

> Another solution:
>
>  - mark the region with math expression and put it into kill-ring (M-w)
>  - type SPC = SPC
>  - run the calc (C-x * c)
>  - type ' (apostrophe) and yank yor math expression (C-y)
>  - type RET
>  - type y (or C-x * y) to copy the result into buffer
>  - exit calc (q)
>

> regards
> marc

You might consider using "anything". There is a plugin
"anything-c-source-calculation-result".

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Anything
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/init-anything.el

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the
satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation