Re: How run many varied apps in Emacs like a window manager?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: How run many varied apps in Emacs like a window manager?
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 02:50:22 +0100

"seberino@spawar.navy.mil" <seberino@spawar.navy.mil> writes:

> Possible to run many varied app in Emacs? In other words, I want to
> use Emacs like my window manager.
>
> I don't necessarily want to use apps (like mail and IRC) specific to
> Emacs...rather I want to use *arbitrary* apps in Emacs.
>
> I know about term-mode.  I don't know if that is the best or only way
> to do this.
>
> Does anyone do this?  Is it advisable?

Some X applications accept a -windowid argument.  You can get the
window ID of your emacs X frame, and give it to your applications so
they display in the emacs frame.

For example:

 xv -windowid $(xwininfo -int  2> /dev/null |awk '/Window id/{print $4}') \
    -maxpect -smooth *.jpg

xwininfo waits for a mouse click in some window and returns its window
ID amongst other information.

I guess the window-id frame parameter is the X window ID.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__