Re: Quick math calc on any buffer

From: Marc Tfardy
Subject: Re: Quick math calc on any buffer
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 00:29:29 +0100

Chetan schrieb:
Scott Frazer <frazer.scott@gmail.com> writes:

On Feb 21, 11:42 am, Rodrigo Lazo <rlazo....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a way to compute a math expression on any buffer? I mean, if I
have a buffer with the following expression

2 + 3

I want to mark the region and compute the result

2 + 3 = 5

It doesn't seems too hard to do, I've looked on calculator.el for a
"computing" function I can call but I didn't find it.

(defun my-calc-result (beg end)
  (interactive "r")
  (insert " = " (calc-eval (buffer-substring beg end))))

This makes me wonder, is there a rewriter of math expressions,
something like a macro that can rewrite the arithmetic expression as
regular lisp function calls?

Yes. See my last post before. The call:

(math-read-exprs "2 + 3")

gives:

((+ 2 3))

This was my attempt in my version of my-calc-result.

reagrds
Marc