Re: a look at the browser scene & emacs

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: a look at the browser scene & emacs
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:42:02 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 26, 12:57 am, Miles Bader <mi...@gnu.org> wrote:
> There is ample room for people to discuss this evolution, but approaches
> that start with "first, toss out the existing user interface" aren't gonna
> fly.

Who said to toss out existing user interface, you?

Are you saying that i start my suggestion with “throw out existing
UI”? If so, please point out where.

> Emacs isn't going to turn into a fancy notepad clone, regardless of what
> "modern" users may (think they) want...

In what way you imagine emacs is going to be a fancy Microsoft Notepad
clone?

I've wrote the following suggestions on emacs modernization in the
past 3 years:

• The Modernization of Emacs
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization.html

• Suggestions on Emacs's Scratch Buffer
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_scratch_buffer.html

  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_meta_key.html

• Emacs's Menu Usability Problem
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_menu.html

• Emacs's Mode Line Modernization Suggestions
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_mode_line.html

• Usability Problems With Emacs's Letter-Case Commands
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_upcase-word.html

• Suggestions on Emacs's mark-word Command
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_mark-word.html

• Suggestions on Emacs's Line-Cutting Commands
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_fill-paragraph.html

• Emacs Should Adopt HTML To Replace Texinfo
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_html_vs_info.html

• Emacs Should Support HTML Mail
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_html_mail.html

• Emacs's HTML Mode Sucks
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_html_sucks.html

which item, in which article, do you think that emacs is going to turn
into Notepad clone?

is the suggestion of using modern standard shortcut set of X C V for
Cut, Copy, Paste, of which Linux uses, means it is turning emacs to a
fancy Notepad clone?

Is fixing emacs's confusing undo and no redo, that is periodically
bitched by programer in blogs, considered making emacs into a Notepad
clone?

Is the suggestion for a statistics based ergonomic keybinding design
that are more faster to execute, easier on the fingers, and easier to
remember, mean it is turning emacs to a fancy notepad clone?

is the suggestion of getting rid of *scratch* buffer, and introduce a
command “New” with shortcut Ctrl+n, that creates new buffer anytime
anywhere, which lets user create multiple scratch buffers defaulting
to any mode and compatible for the rest of Linux's shortcuts, means it
is a fancy Microsoft Notepad?

is the suggestion of changing notation from C- and M- to Ctrl+ and Alt
+, such that it reflects the lable on the keyboard, and Richard
Stallman agrees may be a good idea, means it's Notepad?

is the suggestion of supporting html mail, and interface to gmail out
of the box, means it's becoming Microsoft Notepad?

is it simply the fact that making things easier to use, means kissing
Microsoft's ass?

Is the open source Firefox, and Google's extremely advanced
technologies and easy to use applications such as gmail, google map,
google earth, google code, all becoming Microsoft Notepad clone?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/