elisp: isn't default-directory always the dir of current file??

From: Xah Lee
Subject: elisp: isn't default-directory always the dir of current file??
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 22:54:51 -0800 (PST)

elisp question.

it seems to me, that the var default-directory is not updated when
using load-file.

For example, i have in my .emacs this line and nothing else:

(load-file "web/emacs/xah_emacs_init.el")

Then, in the file xah_emacs_init.el
has this line

(load-file "emacs2/init.el")

and nothing else.

However, it is a error because it cannot find init.el.

When adding (message default-directory) to the xah_emacs_init.el, it
still thinks that the dir is "~/".

The elisp doc on default-directory and load-file indicates that this
should work.

 Xah