Re: replace placeholders

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: replace placeholders
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 12:36:46 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 3, 7:49 am, henry atting <nspm...@literaturlatenight.de> wrote:
> On Mo, Mär 02 2009, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
> > Am 02.03.2009 um 15:06 schrieb henry atting:
>
> >> I simply typed \226 to `query-replace's prompt.
>
> > It should have been: C-q 2 2 6 <something non-digital> – and sometimes
> > care needs to be taken: GNU Emacs 23.x (could be also 22.x)  can be
> > set to accept hex (to input directly Unicode characters) and  other
> > coding instead of octal. Now you have strings comprised of \,  2, and
> > 6.
>
> Yes, this works fine.
> Strange. After I eliminated all these placeholders (it is a *.tex file)
> I do not really miss anything in the PDF output, the source does not
> contain any letter with a circumflex.
> Anyway, for now I do not have to convert any other latin1 file.

the best way i found to replace is simply copy & paste the char in
query-replace.

To find out what that char is, you can do “Ctrl+u Ctrl+x =”. It'll
give you the full unicode name, code number, and all sort of info. But
you have to intsall the unicode file... See:

Q: I have this character α on the screen. How to find out its
unicode's hex value or name?

You can find out a character's decimal, octal, or hex values by
placing your cursor on the character, and type “Alt+x what-cursor-
position” (Ctrl+x =). You can get more info if you place your cursor
on the character, then press “Ctrl+u Ctrl+x =”.

However, if you want the complete unicode info of a character, you
need to download a unicode data file and let emacs know where it is.
The unicode data file can be downloaded at:
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt.
After you downloaded it, place the following code in your “~/.emacs”
to let emacs know where it is:

; set unicode data file location. (used by what-cursor-position)
(let ((x "~/Documents/emacs/UnicodeData.txt"))
  (when (file-exists-p x)
    (setq describe-char-unicodedata-file x)))

Then restart emacs. Once you've done this, then place your cursor on a
unicode char, and do “Ctrl+u Ctrl+x =”, then emacs will give you all
the unicode info about that char, including the code point in decimal,
octal, hex notations, as well the unicode character name, category,
the font emacs is using, and others.

For example, here's the output on the character “α”:

      character: α (332721, #o1211661, #x513b1, U+03B1)
        charset: mule-unicode-0100-24ff
                 (Unicode characters of the range U+0100..U+24FF.)
     code point: #x27 #x31
         syntax: w      which means: word
       category: g:Greek
    buffer code: #x9C #xF4 #xA7 #xB1
      file code: #xCE #xB1 (encoded by coding system mule-utf-8-unix)
        display: by this font (glyph code)
     -apple-symbol-medium-r-normal--14-140-72-72-m-140-mac-symbol
(#x61)
   Unicode data:
           Name: GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA
       Category: lowercase letter