How to quiet down the beep

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: How to quiet down the beep
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 20:46:48 -0600

How can I quiet down the motherboard beeps I seem to get at a fierce
clip with I use emacs (Especially on OpenSolaris it seems).

Short of a real miracle where I become a proficient typist and emacs
adept .. I wonder if there is anything I can do about being beeped by
emacs for apparent infringements like trying to type in readonly
buffers or in the readonly part of the command area.

It gets really annoying after hours at the computer when fingers are
tired and even lazier than usual to get a constant stream of beeps
that I guess are coming from the motherboard.

I thought I might disable whatever it is in there.. but my board
manual doesn´t show where it is and I actually cannot pinpoint it by
sound even with the case off and ear as close as I can get.

Probably not a good idea to disable it anyway, but is there anything
to be done on the emacs end?