Re: linux/gcc, apostrophs display problem

From: towi
Subject: Re: linux/gcc, apostrophs display problem
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:20:28 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

"""
(unless standard-display-table          ; Default value is nil!
   (setq standard-display-table (make-display-table)))
 (aset standard-display-table #x53978 [96])
 (aset standard-display-table #x53979 [39])
"""
into .emacs and.... it works! Hey, great! Unbeliable. Do I understand
this...?
Sort of...
  #x53978
is the emacs-internal represenation of that apostroph? What _is_
emacs' internal representation of characters? Can I use this also to
replace all tabs with '*' or all spaces with '_'? lets try...
"""
(aset standard-display-table ?U [?X] )
"""
Cool, making an "X" from a "U" :-). Ok, understuud. Thanks, that was
exacltly what I wanted to know.

I do not recognize the "?..." and "[?...]" form of the arguments here,
they came from the documentation of "standard-display-table". Can I
trouble you to give me an additional hint here?

thanks,
tschau, towi.