Re: How to get "electric" behavior in completions buffer?

From: David Karr
Subject: Re: How to get "electric" behavior in completions buffer?
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 15:34:00 -0800

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

Am 06.03.2009 um 19:49 schrieb David Karr:

In my previous lives using various Emacsen, I seemed to remember that when a
completions buffer came up, I could press "q" in the buffer to make it go
away.

You don't see "Type space to flush ..." in echo area? Or is this non-electric steamy behaviour?

Ah, well, now I see that most occurrences of this buffer do work that way (space to flush).  When I saw this question I had to spend a little time figuring out how I was getting this.

I realized that this happens to me in shell buffers, when I type "cd wo" and press TAB.  In my example, I have directories "work" and "workspace" in that directory, so it completes "work", but then I press TAB to get the completion buffer.  At that point, if I press space it will clear the complete buffer, but if I do anything else, like ENTER because I decided the current one was the one I wanted, then I lose the chance to easily dismiss the completion buffer.

It seems awkward that I lose the "space to flush" option after pressing a key, but I can't see a better way to do it. I guess I'll just have to get into the right habit.