Re: Can gnus deal with e-mail?

From: mobile Parmenides
Subject: Re: Can gnus deal with e-mail?
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:35:50 +0800

Hi

I find an article concerning the settings of gnus which support gmail.
Its URL is as follows:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail

Following its instruction, I wrote a ~/.gnus file as follows:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.cn99.com"))

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
                                  (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                                  (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                  (nnimap-stream ssl)))

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587
"mobile.parmenides@gmail.com" nil))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      smtpmail-local-domain "")

and wrote the ~/.authinfo properly.The news reader' part woked well,
but when contacting gmail server, there is a error message as follow:

"Unable to contact server gmail, nil"

Anyone have some experience to configure gmail under gnu?