Re: Setting font height in Xresources

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Setting font height in Xresources
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 23:10:27 +0100

Jim Burton <jim@sdf-eu.org> writes:

> Hi, I want to use the default font but change the height attribute in
> Gnu EMacs 23.0.60 on Linux, Ubuntu Intrepid. I can easily set this in
> .emacs and in GNOME that works fine but under the xmonad window manager
> (which is a tiling wm) it is messed up. Emacs starts with the larger
> font size then resizes it. This leaves the echo area the wrong size and
> any mode lines running up to about two thirds of the width of the frame
> then stopping. If I change the xmonad layout then the emacs window is
> redrawn and everything is fine, but this is a nuisance. (redraw-display)
> at the end of .emacs didn't help.
>
> I thought that setting the font height earlier on might help so tried to
> set it in Xresources with
>
> Emacs.default.attributeHeight:100
>
> (not forgetting xrdb merge ...) but this has no effect on the font
> size. What's the right way to do this?
>
> Thanks a lot,

I use Emacs under XMonad with no issues. My font specifier in an X
resource file is simply:

,----
| Emacs*font: -adobe-courier-medium-r-normal-*-12-100-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
`----

I don't know about specifying height separately.

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the
satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation