Re: Gnus: moving to the latest article in a thread

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Gnus: moving to the latest article in a thread
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:17:31 +0100

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 9, 11:53 am, Richard Riley <rileyrg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am interested in the requirement here. Do you really go to the last
>> article in a thread? If so, a natural "first step" in reading a thread?
>> Would you really order a thread so latest article is first? It strikes
>> me as very unusual behaviour :-;
>
> Well consider you have the following thread:

>   +->
>    |  +->
>    |     +->
>    +->
>       +->
>          +->
>          +->
>             +->
>                    +->  <latest article>
>
> And you want to reply to the latest article. How do you move to it ?

Well, true, but normally one reads all (non filtered) replies in a
thread before replying to a last one - otherwise you might be rehashing
previous replies.

> Of course you can move to it with various thread commands but not in
> one shot.

It's strange. I just cant visualise a need to go to last post regardless
of the content of the previous ones in order to reply. If one wanted to
reply then presumably one had already read it in which case you are
already on that article. Still, if we all worked the same way life would
be pretty boring.

>> Still, the wonderful Gnus can be moulded to all tastes.
>
> yes that's true, one thing that makes me still using gnus. Although
> I don't speak elisp yet ;)
>
>  But it has a high priority in my todo list.

It does help. I have a little and it can be very useful of course!

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the
satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation