Emacs help

From: fi_fi08
Subject: Emacs help
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:38:13 -0700 (PDT)

In Emacs 22 I cannot compile my java files.  When I compile the minibuffer
reads:
Compile command: make -k
I hit enter and the compilation buffer reads:
-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "~/" -*-
Compilation started at Tue Mar 10 13:31:16

make -k
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Compilation exited abnormally with code 2 at Tue Mar 10 13:3
If I erase the "make -k" out of the minibuffer and hit enter the compilation
buffer reads:
-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "~/" -*-
Compilation started at Tue Mar 10 13:32:52

Compilation finished at Tue Mar 10 13:32:52
It seems that the program code has been compiled but no file with .class
following is created.  I cannot run my program either after creating an html
file and use "appletviewer foo.html &" in the terminal window after I try to
run this using the terminal window the terminal window writes:
jfiala@Justin-PC:~$ load: class homework.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: homework.class
        at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:201)
        at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:145)
        at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassLoader.java:644)
        at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:798)
        at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:727)
        at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:380)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/jfiala/homework/class.class
(No such file or directory)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.connect(FileURLConnection.java:87)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.getInputStream(FileURLConnection.java:178)
        at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(AppletClassLoader.java:313)
        at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(AppletClassLoader.java:62)
        at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(AppletClassLoader.java:191)
        at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:188)
        ... 8 more

and the applet doesn't run.  I know that this is pry a simple problem but
how can I fix it so that when I use the compile command the java file is
automatically compiled and it creates a .class file? Any help would be
greatly appreciated as I need this for a course that I am currently taking.