Re: how to change C-x prefix to C-k in a clean way?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: how to change C-x prefix to C-k in a clean way?
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:31:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 11, 8:36 am, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 7, 8:27 am, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > is there a way to remap all the C-x key to another, say C-k?
>
> > I've been using this
> > (keyboard-translate ?\C-t ?\C-x)
> > for over 2 years (on dvorak. Dvorak t is qwerty k.)
>
> Just curious Xah -- Do you use Dvorak primarily for speed or for RSI
> related problems?

i learned dvorak in 1992 or 1993. More or less due to my nerdiness
towards better design. I don't have typing speed problem nor RSI in
anyway.

In 1991 or 1992 i was employed as a secretary or data entry clerk,
typing qwerty about 75 wpm (test result from hiring agency). I took a
month to learn dvorak during a job break, but by happenstance have
never worked as a secretary since. My typing speed never improved
much. In fact, slower, maybe 60wpm for the next 5 or so years, because
i didn't have a need to type intensively as a job as before. The
significantly noticeable thing is the comfort. I didn't realize it
until in late 1990s, when sometimes i had to go back to qwerty as a
sys admin, and the first thing to note is that the fingers jump
wildly.

first use of emacs is maybe 1998, and in a month or so become daily
user. (so, my emacs experience is all dvorak) First 6 years of emacs
using is exclusively terminal based. In fact resisted installing X11
when a colleague seems to want it to run emacs. Didn't start to use
GUI emacs till 2005.

did pick up some qwerty touch typing again somewhat again in 2002. My
qwerty touch typing speed is probably less than 30wpm, and maybe up to
50wpm if given 1 hour daily practice over a week. Current dvorak
speed, according to websites, is anywhere from 80 to over 100wpm.

i read extensively on dvorak. In the early 1990s, it'ss books in
library (notably Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing). Since late 1990s,
online info. I don't think there is a notable site about dvorak,
keyboard, keyboard layouts, RSI, alternative input devices, that i
have not read.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/