Re: Daemon and client: Only open new frame if there isn't one already?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Daemon and client: Only open new frame if there isn't one already?
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:35:24 +0200

> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 00:44:25 +0100
> From: Hugo Heden <hugoheden@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> >> Is there a way for emacsclient to ask the daemon to make a new frame
> >
> > Have you invoked
> >
> >        emacsclient --help
> >
> > Yes, in GNU Emacs 23.0.91 it can!
> >

> Yes, thanks Peter, I have, but this is not what I want to do:
>   "-c, --create-frame Create a new frame instead of trying to use the
> current Emacs frame"
>
> What I want is a command line option (or some hacky script ) to
> automatically create a new frame only if there is no frame currently
> open. If there is a frame already, that frame should automatically be
> reused.

But the above portion of the emacsclient help message seems to mean
that emacsclient already does what you want by default.  That's why
you need the -c option to override that default and create a new
frame even if one already exist.

Doesn't the default work for you?  Perhaps you should report a bug,
then.